The transfer plans of many clubs may well take a hit due to UK’s decision of leaving the European Union. It is uncertain as to how this “Brexit” will affect the contracts and transfers of players hailing from the British Isles. However, this has not stopped media across the globe reporting links between players and clubs.
Chelsea have been reported as planning a fresh bid for the recently returned Alvaro Morata and Juventus and Manchester United continue to be linked with attacking options. West Ham United too seem to be ready to invest big as they are linked with two world-class forwards.
Here are the football transfer news and rumours from June 24th.
– Juventus have short-listed three strikers to sign this summer, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. The Serie A champions are searching for a replacement for Alvaro Morata, who returned to former club Real Madrid this week. As a result, Massimiliano Allegri is reportedly eyeing moves for either Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez, Everton’s Romelu Lukaku or Marseille’s Michy Batshuayi, who is understood to be his prime target.
– Napoli, Inter Milan and Juventus are all in the race to sign Zenit St Petersburg’s Axel Witsel, reports Tuttosport. Milan and Roma were both interested in the Belgian international, but according to reports, both have dropped out making it a three-horse race.
There appears to be no clear favourite between the three, not least because the 27-year-old appears to be an expensive option both in terms of his price and his prospective salary.
– Roma has almost completed a deal for Mario Rui according to the defender’s agent. The Empoli defender has agreed to terms with the Giallorossi, and the move could be made official in the coming weeks.
“We haven’t signed because we haven’t been able to meet each other yet,” Mario Giuffredi explained to Tuttomercatoweb. “As far as we’re concerned, the deal is already done. Next week might be the right one for the signatures.”
Marseille has been offered €35million for striker Michy Batshuayi by West Ham, according to Sky Sports. Batshuayi scored 24 goals for Marseille in Ligue 1 last season and has attracted interest from a number of clubs across Europe.
Juventus have had a concrete interest in the forward and were the first club to make an offer which was promptly rejected. Tottenham Hotspurs are also said to be keeping tabs on the Belgian, who is currently representing his country at Euro 2016.
– West Ham have also reportedly submitted a €52million bid for Lyon forward Alexandre Lacazette, according to L’Equipe. Lyon had earlier rejected a bid from West Ham for the Frenchman.
– Laurent Blanc was reported as being very close to an exit from Paris Saint-Germain, and fresh reports coming in from L’Equipe are suggesting that he is set to be handed a €22million compensation package by the club.
Despite spending big, PSG have been unable to make it count in Europe, with club president Nasser al Khelaifi describing the 2015-16 season as a failure because of the club’s elimination from the Champions League by Manchester City at the quarter-final stage.
Spanish and French media reported that Blanc would be replaced by Basque coach Unai Emery, who left La Liga club Sevilla last week.
ottenham Hotspur have had a bid for Vincent Janssen turned down, according to Dutch club AZ Alkmaar. The Eredivisie’s top scorer was in London earlier this month to begin talks with Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino regarding a move to the White Hart Lane. According to the club’s technical director Max Huiberts, the North London club’s offer did not meet their estimated value of the player.
“The difference between the offer and the price we demand was too big,” he told De Telegraaf. “But Spurs have made the only official bid. I’ve read a lot of speculation and been telephoned by other clubs but no one else has made any concrete offer.”
– Chelsea have launched a €50million bid to sign Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata, according to AS. The Los Blancos confirmed that the Spain international will be returning to Madrid earlier this week, and reports have suggested that the Champions League winners are looking to cash-in on the in-demand striker.
Chelsea boss Antonio Conte is looking to engineer a quick return to Champions League football and is understood to be wanting Morata to pair up with Diego Costa up front.
– Manchester United will have to offer €40million for Henrikh Mkhitaryan to catch the attention of Borussia Dortmund, according to reports in Germany. The midfielder has just one year left on his contract at Dortmund. The Red Devils had reportedly submitted a bid of €24 million earlier which had been swiftly rejected by the German club.
The player’s agent Mino Raiola has spoken about Mkhitaryan’s interest in moving to Old Trafford, saying: “Such an offer to join Manchester United might only come once in a lifetime for a player and nobody can guarantee us that the door will still be open for Micki next season. Manchester are Micki’s dream club, he wants to join them by any means.”
Los Blancos had reportedly been set to offer Bale a new deal that would see him commit his long-term future to the club, and may have to part ways with either of the three. The process of UK’s electorate decision to leave the EU is set to take another two years.
– Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has confirmed that Croatia right-back Sime Vrsaljko has passed a medical ahead of a transfer to the La Liga club. Speaking to AS, Cerezo said: “Yesterday they did the medical and I imagine he [Vrsaljko] will be ready to come and play with us next season. I will have to learn how to say his name, as I don’t yet speak Croatian.”
– Sevilla have signed Hiroshi Kiyotake after the Japanese midfielder passed a medical this morning. The player has joined the Europa League champions from Bundesliga club Hannover on a four-year deal.
“The chance of playing in the Champions League made this an easy decision,” Kiyotake told journalists at a charity match in his homeland. “And with two years to go before the next World Cup, the timing is good for my international career,” said the 35-times capped player.