15 NASARAWA DOCTORS WORKING IN DAS HOSPITAL TESTED POSITIVE TO CORONAVIRUS

Igbawase Ukumba in Lafia

No fewer than 15 medical doctors working with the Dalhatu Araf Specialist Hospital (DASH), Lafia, Nasarawa State, have tested positive for COVID-19, which is currently in its second wave with a new variant.

Relatedly NCDC yesterday announces 1,585 new cases, total confirmed cases to 99,063. Discharged 79,417; death 1,350. Lagos maintained its top spot with 573, followed by FCT 182, Plateau 162, Gombe 81, Oyo 75, Rivers 68, Sokoto 58, Ondo 55, Ogun 42, Nsarawa 40, Akwa Ibom 36, Edo 31, etc.

This is as the Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki has urged corporate institutions especially, banks to join efforts with the state government and enforce measures to check the spread of the second wave of coronavirus in the state.

In Oyo State, the Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) has warned owners of private health facilities in the state against managing COVID-19 cases in their facilities, as this has been linked with the rising cases of the infection in the state.

Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the DASH, Dr. Ikrama Hassan, however, disclosed the situation in the state yesterday, while addressing journalists in Lafia, even as he debunked earlier claims by Association of Resident Doctors in the state that 35 medical doctors in the hospital had tested positive for the virus.

Resident doctors in Nasarawa State had on Thursday, at a press conference in Lafia, called for downscaling of services in all departments of the hospital due to high rate of COVID-19 infection among health workers in the facility, where 35 medical doctors had contracted the virus.

But the CMD confirmed that only 15, out of the 139 doctors in the hospital, tested positive for the virus and therefore appealed to the resident doctors to have a dialogue with management of DASH on their position to shutdown the hospital in the midst of the second wave of COVID -19.

Reacting to a call by the resident doctors to downscale service delivery in all departments of the hospital due to the rise in the COVID-19 infection among health workers of the hospital, he said the second wave of the pandemic was more infectious and needed concerted effort to tackle.

The CMD contended that calling for a shutdown of the hospital would result in high mortality rate in the state and concluded that since Personal Protective Equipment had been provided by the hospital, the closure of service delivery by resident doctors in the midst of second wave of the pandemic had no rational and scientific basis and as such, unacceptable.

Meanwhile, Obaseki in a statement, said the state has a robust case management system put in place by the state government to manage confirmed cases at the four well-equipped and functional isolation centers, spread across the state.

“Several corporate institutions particularly banks have so far done well in enforcing social distancing and other safety measures. They are, however, encouraged to intensify efforts this time around to ensure that we curb the spread of this deadly virus,” Obaseki said.

The governor also commended religious leaders for their support and assistance during the first wave of the pandemic, adding: “I encourage them to actively and continuously disseminate information on adhering to safety guidelines to halt the spread of the disease.

“Market unions and trade associations are encouraged to rally their members to adhere to public health and safety guidelines outlined to halt the spread of the disease. Do not sell items to anyone not wearing facemasks so that they don’t put your life at risk.

“In as much as the government will enforce the rules relating to COVID-19 in Edo State, it is important that each and everyone of us take personal responsibility to protect ourselves and the people around us. We must abide by all public health and safety measures to ensure that we are safe,” Obaseki added.

Also, Oyo State’s COVID-19 Technical Task Force, while warning private hospitals, noted that there were 30 approved Testing Centres including the University College Hospital, UCH, Ibadan, for the purpose of testing samples.

It added that those suspected to have symptoms of coronavirus infection should be referred to these centres, adding that testing for symptomatic or suspected cases was free.

A statement by Mr. Taiwo Adisa, Chief Press Secretary to Governor Seyi Makinde, indicated that the chairman of the COVID-19 Technical Task Force, Professor Temitope Alonge, handed the warning in a memo addressed to Chief Executive Officers, Chief Operating Officers and Managers of private health facilities in the state.

Alonge, the statement noted, appealed to the health workers to comply strictly with the advisory, reiterating that the state government could not afford any depletion in the healthcare workforce due to ill health arising from coronavirus infection.

According to the statement, “The spread of the new wave of the coronavirus infection in Oyo State is increasing and the reports reaching the Emergency Operations Centre and the Technical Task Force is that some of the people infected had been managed for various ailments in some private health facilities.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.