MAKURDI—An 18-year-old Senior Secondary 3 student of Jesus College, Otukpo, Benue State, Godwin Ejeh, has been reportedly electrocuted in the school hostel.

Vanguard gathered that the incident occurred when the deceased was fiddling with the electricity distribution box in the boys’ hostel, in an attempt to charge a telephone set, which was allegedly smuggled into the hostel.

Attempts to speak with his fellow students in the school failed but the principal of the school, Samuel Ella, who confirmed the death, described same as unfortunate.

Ella said: “I was at the bank when one of my staff called to inform me that one of my students had been electrocuted. I rushed to the clinic only to discover that he was already dead.

“My findings revealed that he climbed a double bunk bed and gained access to the electricity distribution box in the hostel to charge a mobile phone that was obviously smuggled into the hostel after I had warned on several occasions against bringing phones to the school.

“In doing that, he suffered severe shock, after which fellow students tried to revive him by pouring cold water on him and later rushed him to the hospital, where he was confirmed dead.”

The Principal, who sympathised with the family of the deceased, said his corpse was immediately buried in his home town, Ekere Owukpa in Ogbadibo Local Government Area of the state.

Related posts