It may most likely be safe to hold that image and information management departments of the Government of Nigeria headed by Retired Major Gen Muhammadu Buhari have become liars without borders to the extent that in the past 620 days of the Administration (June 1, 2015 – February 15, 2017) or 20 months and a half; not less than 310 lies have been presidentially told and taken beyond borders and decorum. That is to say that at least one falsehood is presidentially dished out and told in every two days since June 1, 2015. Thispresidential lie policy has reduced the Buhari Government as a toutish and riotous administration.
It is recalled that the present Buhari Administration came to power via a highly divisive federal poll on 29th May 2015. The lies under reference, also called presidential falsehood or presidential info virus; have been told in the presidential pronouncements or government positions on key issues bordering on defence and security including government handling of Boko Haram and Nomad Fulani insurgencies and the recent IDP camp bombing; human rights and rule of law including citizens and criminal justice management; government killing of unarmed and nonviolent citizens such as mass killing of Shiite Muslims and Pro Biafra Campaigners.
Others are economy including budget presentation, defence and implementation and general economic policies; anti graft management including placement of allegations or charges on citizens, their arrest, detention and prosecution and government disobedience to court decisions and pronouncements; executive-legislative relations; general administration including non formation of federal cabinet for 150 days; lies associated with President Buhari’s ill-health, his vacation and whereabouts; and regional and international relations and other diplomatic conducts; to name but a few.
The official lies under reference have mothers;and one of the mothers is a recent official statement of the Buhari Administration’s Information Minister, Mr. Lai Mohammed; to the effect that “the stories of Muslims killing Christians anywhere in Nigeria are fallacies”; with another mother falsehood being the purported diplomatic call of President Donald Trump to President Muhammadu Buhari and its contents or what was actually discussed in the purported call.
We had two days ago or on 13th February 2017 issued a statement on the issue and held that the said diplomatic call between President Donald Trump and President Muhammadu Buhari and its contents might most likely not have taken place; a position we still maintain till date. The link below contains the said statement of ours HERE.
We had also on 22nd January 2017, issued another statement and risen in strong condemnation of the wanton killing and widespread wounding of unarmed and nonviolent Pro Biafra activists, who assembled in Port Harcourt, Rivers State to mark the inauguration of Mr. Donald Trump as the 45th President of the United States. We had also in the statement alerted Nigerians and members of the international community to watch the unfolding events in the coming weeks including the possible desperation of the Government of Nigeria to turncoat so as to get the attention of the new Government of the United States desperately or at all costs.
As we had correctly observed in the statement, less than two weeks after same, the purported Trump’s call to Buhari and its contents with accompanied controversies hit the global air and news waves. The link below contains our statement under reference:HERE.
More Reasons For Resoluteness Of Our Stand:
- Criminologically and common-sensually, such weighty diplomatic discussions or phone calls can only take place between two mentally coherent and physically healthy Presidents. It is a settled opinion in general quarters that all is not well with President Muhammadu Buhari of Nigeria in spite of wherever he is, with a serious doubt rising day and night over his health capability to engage in such weighty diplomatic conversations. The sole author of the statement, Mr. Femi Adesina, has also never neared his boss and his quarantine abode since 19th of January 2017. He was also not physically present when the purported call was made. The Buhari Government is also notorious for not telling Nigerians the truth on key public issues since June 2015.
- Circumstantially, the timing of the purported call was grossly incoherent and inconsistent with official schedules at the White House (i.e. reception of the Canadian Prime Minister). Issues of “striking a deal for the provision of military weapons to Nigeria to fight Boko Haram”; “commendation of the Nigerian military over its strides”; “commendation of President Buhari and encouraging him to continue the good work he is doing”; and “bilateral cooperation in the fight against terrorism” etc; are not only strongly suspected to be Aso Rock planted, but also circumstantially premature to be discussed by the Trump Administration barely one month of his Presidency.
- In other ways, several US policies including its policy on Nigeria are apparently at “review stages” for the purpose of policy reversal, or retention, or modification, or consolidation, etc. This is more so when there is a change of guard at the White House (i.e. from out-gone Democrat Government and its policies to the new Republican Government and its new policies). Such purported affirmative diplomatic statement possibly falsely credited to President Trump is totally un-Trump and un-Republican like.
- That is to say that the US Policy on Nigeria under the new Trump and his Republican Administration is circumstantially and realistically at review stage. If any call has taken place at the instance of President Donald Trump to President Buhari, it should strictly be on commiserative and health grounds. US Policy on Nigeria under the new Trump Administration particularly in the area of military pact or supply of weapons is most likely to undergo a surgical review; to be tailored in the Leahy Law and the Republican Foreign Policy tradition. “Encouraging and commending President Buhari to continue with the good work he is doing” (i.e. raging State terrorism and widespread rights abuses); is totally untenable and most likely Aso Rock planted.
- Diplomatically, Presidential diplomatic conversations or telephone calls between two world leaders are totally official and internationally customized and recorded. They are official to the extent that official government communication facilities domiciled in respective communicating governments’ seats of power are used. Such call facilities may most likely exclude private or mobile phone lines of the persons of the two leaders.
- If this is the case, then our question is: does it mean that President Muhammadu Buhari was quarantined wherever he is together the Aso Rock seat of power call facilities? Or did President Trump call President Muhammadu Buhari on his private mobile phone and take it to be official or diplomatic calls or conversations? In other words, we strongly hold again that Acting President Osibanjo should be the right recipient of such diplomatic calls (if any); not the other way round.
- What May Most Likely Have Transpired: It is recalled that the Buhari Administration got enmeshed in diplomatic blunders when it blindly and vindictively supported; some say in cash and kind, the former and failed Obama Administration and its Democratic Party. Following the emergence of the new Trump Administration, the Buhari Government circumstantially and diplomatically became jittery and desperate; fearing among other things, the possible policy shift by the new Trump Administration particularly as it concerns the Buhari Administration’s heinous and widespread rights abuses and its hard-line posture towards Christians, the Igbo Race and Pro Biafra Pacifist Self Determination Campaigns.
- It was on account of the foregoing that the Buhari Administration intensified lobbying across borders particularly in US and UK. For the records, “lobbying” is an act of bribery offered to an influential group or groups in a highly influential country for the purpose of getting the legislative and executive arms of the country to soften its hard-line policy or formulate a favourable policy towards the lobbying country. Lobbying is criminologically classified as “mala probita” (i.e. act criminalize or de-criminalize country by country) or without global uniformity as a crime. Like “tipping” in US, lobbying is not literally a crime.
- In all, Mr. Femi Adesina may not have originally intended to lie against a sovereign authority (i.e. President Donald Trump) or a sovereign territory (i.e. United States of America); rather, he may most likely have fallen into a dummy so set or given by hired lobbyists in USA; leading to the trending diplomatic blunders under reference. Possibly out of desperation and not actually being put in the know of the true health status and whereabouts of his boss (Buhari), the Christian Deacon turned unfortunate and pitiable presidential image handler may most likely have acted in haste and in error; only for the whole thing to back-fire, with capacity to cause a serious diplomatic row between USA and Nigeria.
- It is on account of the foregoing that we renew our earlier call on the White House Spokesperson and the Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs of the new Donald Trump Administration to issue written statements or address the media over the issue with a view to stating what actually transpired. If at all there was such diplomatic call by President Trump to President Muhammadu Buhari of Nigeria in his sick bed or leave; Nigerians and members of the international community would wish to be told in truth what the US President actually told President Muhammadu Buhari.
Emeka Umeagbalasi, Board Chairman
International Society for Civil Liberties & the Rule of Law (Intersociety)
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile Line: +2348174090052
Barr Obianuju Igboeli
Head, Civil Liberties & Rule of Law Program
Mobile Line: +2348180771506