SUICIDE BOMBER STRIPS EXPLOSIVE VEST TO AVOID DEATH IN BORNO

A suspected female suicide bomber yesterday removed the Improvised Explosive Device (IED), strapped to her  body and dumped it at a house within the neighbourhood she was supposed to attack. It was gathered that the suspect who was supposed to carry out an attack on the outskirts of Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, removed the vest to protect herself. The teenage bomber, flanked by three other bombers, early in the morning walked towards the metropolis from Alakaramti village neighbouring Jere Local Government Area of the state, but she couldn’t go…

Read More

TRIAL OF BOKO HARAM SUSPECTS TO CONTINUE IN KAINJI

By Senator Iroegbu in Abuja   The Federal Government has disclosed its intention to commence trial of Boko Haram suspects in custody with established cases of terrorism at Kainji, Niger State. This was disclosed yesterday by the Director of Prosecutions for the Ministry of Justice, Mr. Muhammed Umar, at the ongoing capacity building programme for the military and civil prosecutors in Abuja tagged: “Strengthening Justice and Accountability in Nigeria”. The Programme organised by Wayamo Foundation, Africa Group for Justice and Accountability (AGJA) and International Nuremberg Principles Academy, aims to address the…

Read More

CLEAR BOKO.HARAM IN THE REMAINING 3LGA GOV. SHETTIMA BEGS MILITARY

BY NDAHI MARAMA, MAIDUGURI Governor Kashim Shettima has yesterday urged the Military to redouble their efforts in clearing remnants of Boko Haram sect still occupying some communities of Gudumbali, Abadam and Marte Local Government Areas in northern Borno Senatorial District, so that thousands of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) who are willing to vacate camps from Niger, Chad Republic and other resettlement areas in the country can go back home and pick up their pieces. Gov Kashim Shettima of Borno State. Shettima frowned at the situation where thousands of IDPs whose…

Read More

BOKO HARAM KILLS 8 SOLDIERS IN YOBE

Suspected Boko Haram members have attacked Sassawa village, Damaturu Local Government Area of Yobe State and killed eight soldiers. A top security source told Daily Trust that the attackers stormed the village in five Hilux vans around 6pm Tuesday and opened fire on the soldiers. “The attackers took the soldiers unawares at a football pitch. One officer and seven other soldiers were killed. Some others got injured,” he said. A resident of the place said the military conveyed the copses of the eight military men to Damaturu yesterday morning. “The…

Read More

MANY DEAD AS MULTIPLE BLASTS HIT MAIDUGURI

  Many were feared dead and scores injured when multiple bomb attacks hit Maiduguri yesterday. The incidents occurred about 8:50 pm in Muna Garage general area in Jere Local Government Area of Maiduguri. According to a CJTF source, the first bomber blew up himself at Muna Garage park, killing scores and injuring six. The second occurred inside IDP camp, injuring about 10 people while the third occurred along Gomboru Ngala road. “So far, information reveals that the first bomber at Muna garage park  entrance killed 13 people  and injured six…

Read More

ABSENCE OF WITNESSES HOLD BACK TRIAL OF BOKO HARAM TERRORISTS

By Ikechukwu Nnochiri ABUJA—The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami, SAN, yesterday, disclosed that some high profile cases could not be heard at the trial of suspected Boko Haram terrorists at the Kainji detention facility due to absence of relevant witnesses. He said some of such cases were, therefore, transferred to the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court for the trial to continue in January 2018. The AGF, in a statement signed by his media aide, Mr. Salihu Isah, further disclosed that 468…

Read More

45 BOKO HARAM MEMBERS SENTENCED, 468 FREED IN CONTROVERSIAL MASS TRIAL

A Federal High Court sitting in Kainji, Niger State, has sentenced 45 Boko Haram members to between 3 and 31 years in jail, and also freed 468 suspects. The jailed men were among the 575 Boko Haram suspects arraigned under the first phase of the mass trial of the suspects. Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said the Kainji court also struck out 34 cases while 28 suspects were remanded for trial in Abuja and Minna. The Court ordered that the 468 discharged persons should undergo deradicalization and…

Read More

FEAR GRIPS SOUTH WEST RESIDENTS OVER BOKO HARAM COMMANDERS’ PRESENCE AND ARREST

By Dayo Johnson FEAR gripped the entire South-West, last week, when two commanders of the dreaded terrorist group listed as numbers 156 and 176 on the wanted Boko Haram members’ list were arrested in the region. The suspects who have made confessional statements include 42-year-old ldris Ibrahim Babawo nicknamed Nagada and 20 year-old Mohammed Bashir, were arrested in Isua, in Akoko South-East area of Ondo State. From L-r: •Bashir: Boko Haram suspect & •Babawo: Another Boko Haram suspect both arrested in Ondo state Of concern was the scary revelation by…

Read More

CONTROVERSY OVER MASS TRIAL OF BOKO HARAM SUSPECTS

Boko Haram suspects The current Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami is not new to controversies and it appears he is not tired of raising more curiosities about administration of justice in this dispensation. That is why his announcement the other day that the Federal Government was set to begin the arraignment of suspected Boko Haram members in various detention facilities across the country was not a big surprise, after all. According to the AG, 13 cases had been concluded with nine convictions secured. While 33 cases were still…

Read More

ANXIETY IN ONDO AFTER BOKO HARAM MEMBER’S CONFESSIONS

Following the last Sunday’s arrest of a suspected Boko Haram insurgent, Bashir Mohammed in Isua-Akoko, Akoko Southeast local government area of Ondo state, security has been beefed up especially in the four local government areas. Our Correspondent observed that soldiers at various check points have embarked on intensive search of vehicles and passengers travelling on various routes in the area. The 20-year old suspect while being paraded by the Police last Tuesday in Akure, said some of his colleagues were scattered in the Southwest states including Ondo state, thereby causing…

Read More