BOKO HARAM AMBUSHES SOLDIERS, 8 DEAD, 5 MISSING

About eight soldiers have been confirmed dead and five others missing after insurgents suspected Boko Haram insurgents ambushed troops of the Sector Three in Lake Chad area on Friday, a security source said. The incident happened around Gasarwa general area on Gajiram-Monguno road. The troops were coming from Monguno and heading to Maiduguri on Friday morning.  According to the source, the insurgents used rocket-propelled grenades to engage the troops. The source added before the arrival of the troops backup from Monguno and air support, the insurgents had withdrawn with lots…

Read More

NORTH EAST LIBERATED DEFENCE HQ INSISTS AS BORNO COMMUNITIES WRITE TO BUHARI ABOUT LOSING CONFIDENCE IN THE MILITARY

Kingsley Nwezeh in Abuja The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) yesterday fired back at Borno communities that wrote President Muhammadu Buhari that they had lost confidence in the military following successive attacks by insurgents, which led to the killing of civilians and soldiers, saying it needs their support and not opposition. The communities, in an open letter signed by a traditional ruler, Alhaji Hassan Boguma, had accused the military of not doing enough to protect them from the insurgents and declared that they had lost confidence in the military. They accused military…

Read More

BOKO HARAM STRIKES IN BORNO AGAIN, 4 DEAD, 12 WOMEN MISSING

Four people have been feared killed and 12 others missing in the aftermath of Boko Haram attack on a town in the northern part of Borno State. Boko Haram struck at remote Gajiram, headquarters of Ngazai Local Government Area of the state at the weekend, firing heavy artillery into the town, security sources said. It was the third attack on the town by the insurgents this year “The attack occurred at about 8.20pm. The insurgents came in 4-wheel vehicles, looted houses and shops, carted away foodstuffs and livestock,” a local…

Read More

BONRO GOVERNOR, ARMY TRADE BLAMES OVER FAILED NEW STRATEGY FOR WAR AGAINST BOKO HARAM

Kingsley Nwezeh in Abuja and Michael Olugbode in Maiduguri Borno State Governor, Prof. Babagana Zulum,  has attributed the renewed onslaught by Boko Haram terrorist group to the decision of the military to establish “super camps.” The insurgents attacked Gubio and Magumeri Local Government Areas of the state last week, sacking residents as well as setting their houses and government secretariat on fire. Zulum slammed the much-touted new war strategy, super camp, introduced by the Nigerian Army in the North-east, saying it was “unwise and not working.” But the army disagreed,…

Read More

101 HOUSES, SHOPS DESTROYED IN BOKO HARAM ATTACK ON THURSDAY

About 101 buildings comprising 73 houses and 28 shops were on Thursday burnt by Boko Haram insurgents in three villages around Konduga local government area of Borno, officials of the state emergency management agency said. This was made known on Saturday by the executive chairperson of the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Yabawa Kolo. Mrs Kolo spoke in Konduga town when the governor of the state, Babagana Zulum, paid a visit to the affected communities. Boko Haram insurgents had on Thursday staged coordinated attacks on communities around Maiduguri which led to displacement…

Read More

FOREIGNERS HAVE TAKEN OVER BOKO HARAM- BORNO GOVERNOR, ZULUM

The Governor of Borno State, Babangida Zulum has argued that foreign elements have now hijacked the activities of Boko Haram, though the insurgents started in the state. Governor Zulum who revealed that much after a closed door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, on Friday also added that the nation’s porous borders does not help matters. Speaking with newsmen after the meeting, Zulum added that the composition of the insurgents cuts across different ethnic groups, adding that even expatriates have joined in the attack. The Governor said that the…

Read More

BORNO GOVERNOR RUSHES TO ABUJA, MEETS OSINBAJO, BUHARI OVER FRESH BOKO HARAM ONSLAUGHT

The Governor of Borno State, Babagana Zulum, Friday in Abuja held a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari over the waves of attacks recently carried out by Boko Haram. The insurgents carried out various attacks around Borno State during the week, some of which led to the displacement of soldiers from their bases in about three communities. PREMIUM TIMES reported how the insurgents attacked Gubio and Magumeri local government areas on Wednesday. The attack was said to have forced the military to pull out of the towns, leaving thousands of residents at…

Read More

10 YEARS LATER: BOKO HARAM AND THE BATTLE OF IDEAS

Obi AnyadikeEditor-at-Large Anyadike has reported regularly on Boko Haram and recently spent months researching the group and its recruitment methods. In the decade-long war between the Nigerian government and the jihadist group Boko Haram, few places have suffered more than Baga, a fishing town on the shores of lake Chad in the remote northeast of the country. Repeatedly fought over, much of Baga was torched by the Nigerian army in 2013, when the garrison went on a rampage after a clash with Boko Haram. It was set alight again two years later…

Read More

3 DAYS AFTER BOKO HARAM KILLED OVER 60 FUNERAL GUESTS, FG INSISTS THEY’VE BEEN DEFEATED

Three days after Boko Haram killed 60 mourners, presidency insists group ‘defeated’ Premium Times Nigeria / Abdulkareem Haruna / 7 hours ago The presidency on Tuesday restated its often repeated claim that the Boko Haram insurgency has been defeated. The presidency’s stance is contained in a statement by presidential spokesperson, Garba Shehu. “The position of the Nigerian government is that the Boko Haram terrorism has been degraded and defeated. The real Boko Haram we know is defeated,” Mr Shehu wrote in a statement sent to PREMIUM TIMES. Mr Shehu’s comment comes three days after…

Read More

DEATH TOLL FROM BOKO HARAM ATTACK ON BORNO FUNERAL GATHERING CLIMBS TO 65

An attack this weekend by Boko Haram fighters on a funeral in northeast Nigeria has left 65 people dead, almost triple the initial toll, a local official said Sunday. Dozens more bodies were discovered following the assault Saturday by gunmen on a village close to the regional capital Maiduguri. “It is 65 people dead and 10 injured,” local government chairman Muhammed Bulama said. Bulama said more than 20 people died in the initial attack on a funeral gathering. Dozens more were killed as they tried to chase after the jihadists.…

Read More