A-27-year-old housewife, Mrs. Saidat Olasunkanmi, yesterday recounted how a cotenant would have wiped out her entire family. Olasunkanmi said the tenant, Gordon Daniel, poured sniper, a dangerous insecticide used for farm produce, in her pot of soup while on the stove. According to her, the incident occurred last Tuesday at number 7, Baale Aiyetoro Street, Ajegunle area of Lagos metropolis.
However, the mother of one, who expressed gratitude to God for saving her life and the lives of her family members, said she had forgiven Daniel. Daniel, a bachelor, sells Compact Discs (CDs) and accessories at Boundary market, Ajegunle. Olasunkanmi said the residents of the “face-me, I-face-you” (a multi-room) bungalow, had been cohabiting peacefully in the last nine years, until Tuesday. But some tenants said the Olasunkanmis and Daniel had been living ‘a cat and mouse’ life.
“It all happened on Tuesday morning when my husband asked Daniel to pay up his electricity bill of N600, so that the entire compound would not be disconnected and made to pay reconnection fee by the electricity distribution company (DISCO).
“Initially, he refused to pay. Thereafter, an argument ensued between them. Daniel later paid the N600. After my husband left for work, I brought our pot of soup to the general kitchen outside to warm. But when I went to attend to someone who came to grind pepper, Daniel poured sniper into our soup,” Olasunkanmi said. According to her, when she returned, she sniffed an offensive odour in the kitchen and decided to watch closely.
She added: “I made sure no one tasted the food until I raised the alarm. When the landlord, Mr. Taiwo, came, it was discovered that only Daniel was the tenant still at home by then. He was questioned, but he denied doing that.
The following day, Wednesday, the matter was re-ported to the Baale of Aiyetoro, Chief Saheed Fakunle. It was in the presence of the baale that he confessed pouring sniper into the pot of soup.
He told the baale that he did not know that sniper kills. Daniel also said that something strange which he did not understand pushed him into the act.” According to her, the baale reported the matter at Ajegunle Police Station The Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in charge of the station, CSP Uman Gusau, arrested Daniel with the poisoned pot of soup.
The suspect was later transferred to the State Criminal Investigative Department, Panti, Yaba, where he is still being detained. Olasunkanmi said that earlier, there was a quarrel between her and Daniel because he was always leaving the door of the toilet open while flies would enter the kitchen from there