Reuben Abati, detained spokesman to Former President Goodluck Jonathan has told the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) that he does not have the money to refund to the government
EFCC is accusing Abati of receiving N50 million from the former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki (Dasukigate scandal) which was part of $2.1 billion allocated for purchase of arms for the fight against Boko Haram.
Abati, who has been in EFCC detention since turning himself in last week Monday, had previously promised to refund N5 million and was granted bail which he was yet to perfect and meet the conditions.
However, in what seems like a u-turn, Abati has told the anti-graft body that he has no immediate means of sourcing the amount for which he is being detained.
Apart from being unable to refund the money, THEWILL gathered that he also allegedly told investigators that he could not provide documentary evidence showing how he spent the N50 million saying he disbursed the money as cash and material gifts to journalists during the 2015 campaign and did not keep such records.
THEWILL gathered that Abati had met his bail conditions since Friday, but the EFCC had refused to release him because of the uncertainty in his commitment to the refund.
Story by Oputah David