There was panic in Kakura Community in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State on Sunday, following the killing of its leader, Isiaku Madaki, which sparked off a reprisal that led to the death of 14 others.

Kakura is a predominantly Gbagyi community with a mix of other settlers.

It was gathered that Madaki was installed as the Head of the Kakura Community on Saturday and by Sunday, he was murdered by yet-to-be-identified gunmen

The development sparked off an attack on a Fulani settlement in the area where 14 others were feared dead.

The incident occurred in the early hours of Sunday when Christians were preparing for service.

A resident who identified himself as Baban David disclosed that the deceased was installed as the community head on Saturday.

He said, “We all gathered in his residence earlier in the day (Saturday) to rejoice with him over his appointment. We were shocked when in the early hours of today (Sunday), we began to hear gunshots.

“We were afraid and we could not come out of our houses. Later we were told that the gunmen had killed him in the presence of his wife and family.

“We found his dead body lying on the ground. His wife told us the gunmen broke into their residence and shot him. They did not take anything, neither did they abduct anybody.”

On his part, another resident identified as Mallam Buhari explained that early in the morning, the natives surrounded the Fulani settlement and asked them to leave the area, describing them as “hypocrites.”

Buhari said while they were leaving the area, they were attacked and some of them killed, adding that “on our way out of the village, we counted four corpses. Later on the bush path, they were the dead bodies of ten others littered on the ground.”

Meanwhile, police were said to have been deployed to the community to maintain law and order. Even as normalcy had returned to the community, most residents had fled the area for fear of the unknown.

Neither the State Government nor the state Police Command had reacted to the incident as of the fine of filing this report.

When contacted, the command’s Public Relations Officer, Mohammed Jalige, did not take his call or respond to text messages. Calls put to his telephone indicated that it was busy and there was no response to the text sent by our correspondent either.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.