Former Senate President, Bukola Saraki, has said that he is innocent of fraud allegations against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Igbere TV reports.
Saraki, in a statement by his media adviser, Yusuph Olaniyonu, made available to Igbere TV on Monday said he was not engaged in any media war with the EFCC.
The commission had claimed that Saraki withdrew N12 billion in cash from the treasury of the Kwara State Government while he was governor of the state between 2003 and 2011.
In reaction, Saraki said he had been the one at the receiving end of media onslaught reportedly sponsored by EFCC.
“We need to reiterate that Dr. Saraki is not interested in obstructing any investigation by the EFCC or any security agency. While the EFCC claims that it is investigating the Office of the Senate President between 2015 and 2019, we make bold to say that it is just on a wild goose chase.
“That Office has nothing to do with contract awards and handling of the finances of the National Assembly. These are functions of the bureaucracy of the National Assembly, otherwise known as the National Assembly Management.
“On its persistent probe of the tenure of Dr. Saraki as Governor of Kwara State between 2003 and 2011, we maintain that all the issues the EFCC are presently raising were the same issues that are contained in four of the charges filed before the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) and taken before the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court,” the statement said.
It also said that in EFCC’s “desperation to nail Dr. Saraki, some of the charges that contained insinuations that Kwara State funds were paid into accounts owned by him and companies in which he has interests were filed. And twice, the charges went before the highest court in the land and he was discharged and acquitted.”